7.15.2008

Tribute to a Great Man

Early this morning, my Grandpa Wahlquist lost his battle to cancer. He put up a long, hard fight but in the end he was not able to over come the illness that had taken over his body. We are glad to see that he is free from the pain and discomfort that was constantly with him for the past few months, but we are still very sad to see him go. I grew up with my grandparents living close by. For the first few years of my life, they lived down the street, and then they moved to the next town, a few miles away. I was was always very close with them, and that bond grew even stronger when I was able to live with them for 6 months before Erik and I got married. Not long after Erik and I got married, my grandparents moved to Logan so my grandpa could be closer to his doctors. With them living so far from my parents, it's been hard to visit them when I fly home. However, I was able to make the treck last November and they were able to meet Jordyn. This was the last time I saw my grandpa, and now that he's gone, I regret not making more of an effort to go and see him when I was in Utah earlier this year. It makes me sad to think that my little girl wont be able to get to know the man that I called grandpa, the man that I loved so dearly. Yet, I am so thankful that my little girl was able to meet my grandpa, even if she doesn't remember. I am so grateful for the bond that Erik had with my grandpa, and the times that they spent sitting around sharing military experiences. I'm grateful for being able to get to know my grandfather better, and getting to hear him tell stories about his childhood, and his years of marriage to my grandma. I'm grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that it gives of eternal families, so I know that I'll be able to see my grandpa again, and that he is now with his parents and his twin brother whom he missed so dearly. I hope that I can live worthy of this great blessing of eternal life and that I can live up to the standard set by my grandpa, that I will make him proud in all that I do. I Love you Grandpa Wahlquist, and miss you dearly. Until we meet again...

4 comments:

  1. Amy, my heart and prayers go out to you. It's so tough to lose someone you love. I hope that you'll feel an extra amount of peace and comfort during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that you will be comforted at this time. I know it's especially hard when you're far away and feel like there's not a whole lot you can do. I'll be thinking about you.

    And as for firework pictures...feel free to email me for more information (even next year around the 4th if you want to), but in a nutshell, you will need to have your camera on manual and have a really long shutter speed or even on a bulb shutter. And you pretty much HAVE to have your camera on a tripod (or a table or something--not hand held) because with a long shutter speed, your hands will cause too much shake and it will blur. But press the shutter right when they go off and it will stay open for several seconds (like anywhere from 8 seconds to 20 seconds--really long) and then you've got your shot. You can play around with longer and shorter times too and see what works best for where you're at, etc. So that's pretty much what I did. So, let me know if you have any more questions... Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear the news, Amy. We will keep you all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I am so sorry for your loss. We will pray for you and your family during your difficult time, that you will find peace and comfort.

    Jordyn is adorable by the way. Your photography is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete