4.30.2010
Hard Pill to Swallow
When my Dr. did all the tests after my last miscarriage we were told that all but one of the tests were normal and that one was only slightly elevated so the Dr. wasn't too worried about it. When we found out we were pregnant again we switched Dr's and I'm so glad that we did. Our current Dr. saw the elevated levels on that previous test and immediately referred me to an Haematology Specialist. I had that appointment today and I wish it was good news, but it wasn't. I have an autoimmune disorder called Antiphospholipid Syndrome or Hughes Syndrome. This causes my blood to become very thick and the platelets sticky so that blood clots form. Apparently what causes this is that I have abnormally thick blood to begin with and then when I was pregnant with Jordyn, my body didn't recognize Erik's genes in here so it made antibodies to help fight off what it thought was a disease. Those antibodies get confused as to what's me and what's not so it causes my blood to thicken and clot. Most likely what happened with our two miscarriage is that my body recognized that foreign protein and started making those antibodies again and the thick blood or a clot couldn't pass through the placenta so the babies essentially starved to death. Fortunately everything looks good so far in this pregnancy. We were able to see both babies heart beats at our ultrasound Monday. Due to this disorder and being pregnant with twins I'm considered high risk and will see my OB weekly and my Hematologist about every 6 week. I also have ultrasounds done every 3-4 weeks and blood work done almost monthly to test the thickness of my blood. To help the blood thin out I'm to take a low dose aspirin daily and then give myself 2 shots of Lovenox (a blood thinner) daily. When I see my Hematologist in 6 weeks he'll look at my blood thickness and decide if I can go down to 1 shot daily. I'll have to do the shots until the end of the pregnancy. I'm just glad that we have good insurance and the shots are covered. The pharmacist told me that not many insurance companies cover them and that they cost about $5000 a month (I had to pay $30).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





That is so Exciting Amy...I will keep you guys in our family prayers and hope that you make it through this...Can't wait to hear more details and hope it all goes good...sure love ya and will be thinking of you guys...
ReplyDeleteWell, that's no fun, BUT I'm so happy you switched doctors! I almost had to take Lovenox, but they decided that heparin would be better for me. (Probably because I looked at the doctor in fear when he asked if I could give myself a shot everyday.)
ReplyDeleteGood luck, and those extra ultrasounds will help you find out the baby's sex earlier! We found out at 15 weeks thanks to tumor Harris, it was soooooo much better than waiting till 20-24 weeks. :)
Let me know if you need anything!
And by heparin, I mean warfarin...ah I'm stupid...but I wanted to correct myself because I know you would realize I was wrong!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness Amy!
ReplyDeleteFirst CONGRATS on the babies! That is fantastic news! Twins! What fun! And if they are as cute as Jordyn...oh my! :-)
Second, I'm sorry about the Hughes Syndrome. That made my heart sad to read how it may have affected your other two babies. :-(
Thank goodness you got it checked out and now know what it is. The upside with all this are the extra ultrasounds. It will be fun to see the babies often! Hopefully the shots aren't too bad. Before you know it, you'll have those snuggle bugs here! :-)
We're thinking about you all and keeping you in our prayers. Love to all of you and your beautiful family!