This first "memory" isn't actually something that I remember, but I've been told the story by my mom and I feel the lasting effects every time I see a snake. During the summer when I was about 3 or 4, we were living on a job site in Cortez, Colorado with my dad (he's in the construction business building roads, water tanks, dams, etc.) on one of our trips back to Utah, we stopped at an old look out point along the road. I went to sit on a rock and the next thing my mom knew, my Uncle Craig (who was with us with his family) picked me up and threw me to my dad. On the rock where I had tried to sit was a rattle snake ready to strike. Even though I don't remember this, I am TERRIFIED of snakes of all kinds and was reminded of this when one slithered across our back patio a couple of weeks ago. Our dogs were barking at something and I went out to investigate and saw the snake. I went and got J who is fascinated by them and then I got a better look at it and saw that it had a slight diamond pattern on its skin and a triangular head, my first thought was a rattle snake. Fortunately it was a baby so it was not too difficult to take care of with a shovel. When Erik got home and looked at the severed body, he said it was more likely a copperhead; either way it's a dead snake.
My second memory is not one of myself, but of my niece Shaylee. I was reminded of this memory yesterday as J was singing while playing. When Shaylee was about the same age as J (2-3) she LOVED to sing and we would often find her playing with her toys singing songs that she made up. She was very shy at this age and would stop if she found anyone listening. On some occasions, to avoid detection, she'd hide behind the couch and sing. When J was born, Shaylee wrote her a song and she even sang it to me over the phone.
"A Song For the Baby"
Go to sleep little baby
Go to sleep
Go to sleep little baby
Go to sleep
Go to sleep
Go to sleep little baby





No comments:
Post a Comment