9.24.2010
Lesson in Humility
During this entire pregnancy, one of Erik and I's biggest concerns was finances (how are we going to afford TWO more kids). We've heard all sorts of comments on how we shouldn't be having kids if we can't afford them and have had to remind people that we didn't plan on having TWO at the same time (BUT we are so excited that the Lord has given us this privileged/blessing). Recently, after much thought, research and prayers, we decided too go and apply for WIC, (we were approved and very grateful for this assistance and consider it a blessing). Anyhow, some people we know, found out about this assistance we are now receiving and have made very negative comments about it. They've made it very obvious that they don't agree with us asking for help, and even seem to look down on us for needing help in the first place, and it hurts. I know that there are many of our acquaintances that don't agree with me being a stay at home mom, and I've heard negative comments about it since I quit working after J was born. I've been told that I've wasted my education, and that I'd be much more help to my family (and society) if I'd go get a job. Trust me, it's hard for me to see how much Erik has to work to support our family, and see to see that all that hard work isn't quite enough to cover the needs of our growing family. I wish I could help out, but first off, NO ONE would hire me right now, and second off, we've had several LONG discussions and heartfelt prayers about this and know that I need to stay home with our kids (besides after the twins come if I were to go to work, my entire salary would most likely go towards daycare for 3 kids so what's the point?). Trust me, Erik and I both HATE the fact that we have have to ask for help, but we know it is what is best for our growing family at this time. My point in this post isn't to announce that we need help, it's to point out that you never know what someones situation is, so don't judge. Just because someone needs help doesn't make them less of a person, actually I've finding it to be the opposite. Quite often, it takes a lot of humility to be able to ask for help. Erik and I have taken pride in being independent, self-sufficient people, and have taken it very hard that we can't do this on our own. I'm still struggling with letting others help me (thus the continual refusals to let others watch J so I can rest or the frequent offers to help me clean my house). I greatly appreciate all those who have offered (non-judgingly) to help, and I'm slowly getting to the point where I may be able to accept those offers, but it's not easy. This is why is hurts that someone whom we considered close to our family would so hastily (and negatively) judge us on asking for help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Oh don't let anyone make you feel bad at all...I hate when I hear that people are doing that...and seriously if we wait to have kids when we can afford them then no one would ever have kids...people can say that too you if you are having your 5 or 6 or 12th kid but seriously your 2nd and 3rd kid that is just ridiculous...and my husband is on Active Duty orders and we still need help and I love having WIC there to help us...it is what it is there for and I feel more strongly about that when I go to re-do our vouchers and I am the only white person in there who speaks English and is a real citizen...and I still have a hard time when people see me at the grocery store using WIC but if it is there to help me and I qualify then I am going to do it...you guys will be just fine and I love that you are a stay at home mom and you are the BEST stay at home mom ever...hang in there...
ReplyDeleteOh Amy, you are wonderful. I'm very proud of you. You are doing exactly what you should be doing by staying at home with your children. (I can say this because I don't stay at home with Marky pants, so I'm not judging non-SAHMs) I love you so much, and I'm thinking about you and your expanding family!
ReplyDeleteI understand completely. We moved here from NOLA because there was no way we could afford to live there anymore. My company did not want to let me work from home and if I put Shelby in daycare, my entire pay would have gone to that. And I felt so strongly against daycare anyway. It was a huge decision for us to move, but bottom line was it was best for our family.
ReplyDeleteBecause we prayed about it and followed what Heavenly Father wanted, I was given the opportunity to work full time from home, in a much more affordable house that is twice the size of our old house!
So, don't worry about what others have to say. YOU know you guys are doing what's best for YOUR FAMILY. You will be best for following Heavenly Father's plan.
You should never feel guilty about staying home with your kids. Also, where is it doctrine that you shouldn't have kids you can't afford. I'm not sure I even know what that means. I would say my parents couldn't afford most of their kids by today's standards. We dressed in hand-me-downs, much of our food came from our garden. Our house never looked like a "wow" house, although it was clean. Almost every piece of furniture we had was a hand-me-down. We didn't have health insurance as far as I know, although health care was not as astronomically expensive then. But my parents were blessed and have A LOT of luxuries now.
ReplyDeleteI didn't work while Nick was in law school. I felt selfish not working and refusing to put my kids in day care, but when Stacy died, I realized that I would have missed out on nearly her entire life if I had worked. Everyone must make their own choices.