8.20.2008

Beach Patrol


On our last day in San Diego, we spent the day at the beach. Colt (brother), Toni (sister) and Scott (brother-in-law) were trying out Toni's skim board. They weren't doing to well, but they were all having a good time trying, then the unthinkable happened. Toni fell while on the skim board. She landed face down and just started screaming that her leg hurt. Scott and Colt got her rolled over and then I came and helped pull her up out of the surf. We thought that she'd sprained her ankle, but when we pulled her up out of the surf, her right foot flopped to the side and we could see the ankle bone stretching the skin. The lifeguards were called over, and to our dismay, they were being followed by the TV show "Beach Patrol" (who continued to film the incident even after they were asked to stop, so if you watch the show look for my family in about 6 months). Toni was taken to the lifeguard tower and then on to the hospital via ambulance. Once there, they took x-rays and discovered the extent of the damage...three breaks one on the actual ankle bone itself, and two on the fibula. The Dr.'s wrapped the leg tight and gave her some pain meds and sent her home. She needed surgery, but they thought it be best to wait until she got home to do that. Luckily, we were planning on heading home the next morning anyway. My parents got home Thursday evening and took Toni straight to the hospital were she was admitted so they could try to get her pain under control. Friday afternoon she had her surgery where they put several screws and a plate in to hold the bones together. She gets the screws taken out in about 3.5 weeks. We're glad that Toni's surgery went well and hopes that she continues to heal properly. We love you Toni!!

4 comments:

  1. HOLY COW!!!! That is crazy! We were just watching that show the other day...we will definitely be on the lookout for you. I hope your sister is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is bizarre! For one thing, I cant' believe your sister got such a bad injury from that. ouch! That doesn't sound fun at all. And then I cant' believe you got on TV because of it. :) You'll all have quite the story to tell now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so painful! I hope she is doing much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your concern. I'm doing very well. I've got my cast off from my surgery and have started to do some physical therapy. I still can't put any weight on it cause I have pins still in my ankle. But once those come out then I can fully start my recovery. Again thanks for your caring and support. And thanks to my wonderful sister Amy who is always there for me. I love you Amy.

    ReplyDelete