2.23.2009

Get Fit Week 3: A Bump in the Road


This past week started off a bit rough in our house. Jordyn was fighting a sinus infection, and Erik was suffering from sinus headaches. My fun started in the early morning hours (2:30 am to be exact) on Tuesday when I woke up with horrendous pain in my left ear. I spent the next several hours trying everything I could think of to alleviate the pain. Nothing seemed to help. When Erik got home, he called the missionaries over and they gave me a blessing, that helped. I was also able to get into the Dr. who confirmed my fears, I had a serious ear infection. I was sent home with an antibiotic. That night, things got more interesting. I woke up (around 1:00 am this time) to a gurgling noise in my ear. I noticed a wet spot on my pillow and fluid draining out of my ear (never a good sign). Again, when Erik got home he called the Dr. this time I was sent to an ENT who told me that most likely I'd had a pinpoint rupture of the eardrum which had most likely already healed itself (it was late in the afternoon by the time I had my appointment). I was told not to go swimming or to get water in my ear for the next two weeks (just to be on the safe side). Needless to say, our exercise regime has suffered a bit this week. Tuesday there was no exercise at all, and then Wed. & Thurs. it was light. When I ran on Friday (after a week of no running) I was only able to run 2.7 miles. I'm glad that this is only a 3.1 mile race and I still have a few days to work on running. Also this week, both Erik & I have gained 1/2 a lbs (but muscle weighs more than fat, right?). Hopefully this week will be better (though I'm not so sure it will as I still have pressure/pain in my ear, and I have a dentist appointment on Thursday to fix an infected tooth. Oh so much fun!) Oh, and to top off all of this fun and excitement, Jordyn is teething again (bottom canines).

3 comments:

  1. Don't get discouraged, you are doing great! Hey, anything is better than what I'm doing...which is nothing!! Hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy, that really sounds painful! I have to give you kudos for even trying to run after that! And then to have to go to the dentist on top of all that... I feel your pain.

    And yes, you do start to gain muscle so the scale will be mischievous and tell you that you've gained weight sometimes- not really what you want to hear when you're trying to lose weight, but it also means you're working your way into better shape and gaining muscle and losing fat.

    Ditto what Aidan said, feel better soon!

    P.S. Peyton is getting his 2 year molars right now and he has been the worst monster all week. He has been so bad doing all of the things he knows he's not supposed to! Arggh! The teething part is my least favorite part of Motherhood- it feels like they're always teething!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear about your ear infection....but fun to hear that you guys are working out together and you're running a race, thats awesome!

    ReplyDelete