9.30.2008

HELP!!!

Jordyn's pacifiers have started to cause a rash around her mouth, so we need to get her off them. Last night we thought we'd try going cold turkey. It didn't go so well. Jordyn cried until she made herself sick (literally), so Erik "googled" different methods to wean one off a pacifier. We decided to try snipping the tip of the pacifier and giving her that one (supposedly they get tired of the lack of suction and give up the pacifier themselves). Jordyn could tell right away that something was wrong with the pacifier that Erik gave her and she started to scream again. Not wanting to have her get sick again (and wanting to go to bed ourselves, it was almost 10:00 by this time) we gave up and gave her a normal pacifier, and she went right to sleep. If it weren't for the rash, I'd let her keep the stupid things until she was ready to give them up (after all she only uses them to sleep with). If anyone has any experiences and/or methods they'd like to share I'd be very grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I really don't know what to tell you because my first thought would have been to cut it cold turkey too and just let her cry it out. Obviously, that didn't work!

    Does she suck on a pacifier all day or just use it to go to sleep? If she uses it during the day, I would start weaning her that way and slowly try to transition her out of it.

    Something else you might try is to sneak in after you're sure she's out and try to get the pacifier out of her mouth since the rash is probably from excess saliva. When the area around her mouth stays wet like that, it can cause those rashes to pop up.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had two 'binky babies' through and through, I can say we've been there done that with the rashes, that's for sure. I was always weak, though, and just boiled the binkies and gave them back and the rash would usually clear up! :) Tyler sucked a binky until he was two and then he fell off a bike and banged up his lips so bad that he couldn't stand the pain when he would suck the binky--so that was the end of them for him. Worked out nicely for me because it was a clean break. But Sam is still sucking away on his and I doubt he'll be rid of it any time soon! So you may be able to get rid of the rash and keep the binky for a while if all of you aren't ready to give it up yet! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby never liked pacifiers, so thankfully I haven't had to deal with that. My problem is bottles. She only drinks them when she has milk right before sleep, but I really need to get out of that habit. I actually tried once last week, and she did ok, but I have been too lazy and tired since then to fight it. I always kind of feel like they will grow out of these things on their own anyway, but maybe I am just telling myself that to make me feel better?! Good luck! Let us know what works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah im not much help with that, tyler had a bottle, he had it til about almost 18 mths, it was rough, but after really only one bad day, it was done, but he was alot older than jordyn, im sure its difficult, sorry about the rash and the night, good luck!

    ReplyDelete