10.21.2008

One Little Monkey


I think we have finally discovered Jordyn's true lineage. I know that many of you thought she was truly Erik and I's child, but recent events have proved otherwise. For quite some time now, we've been wondering if Jordyn was a branch of a "different" family tree. She LOVES bananas, and will even pick up on the word in a local grocery store commercial. We cannot let her see the bananas at the grocery store or she'll have a fit because she can't eat one right then. To add to our suspicion, Jordyn frequently makes monkey noises (ah-ah with hands scratching the underarms). In fact, it is not uncommon to hear these noises over the baby monitor first thing in the morning. The thing that has confirmed this suspicion has only recently occurred. The other day, it was nap time so I went and laid Jordyn in her crib, made sure she had her juice, and her baby, and then walked out (standard procedure at our house). Normally, Jordyn will talk to her baby for a few minutes and then be out for a good 1.5-2 hours. Well, I guess this day she didn't want to take a nap (even though she was so tired that she kept falling asleep with playing with her toys). I let her cry for a few minutes and then I heard this loud thud and then screaming (never a good sign) so I went to check on her and to my surprise, Jordyn was sitting on the floor. She had managed to climb over the rails and get out (thus the thud). I then decided it was time to lower the mattress as low as possible to keep her in the next time (Erik did this later that evening). But there's more, the following evening I was playing with Jordyn in the living room, but she wanted something on the counter where Erik was studying, and since I wouldn't get it for her, she decided she'd get it herself. She climbed up onto our bar stool, and then from there onto the kitchen counter with ease. Needless to say, we now keep all the stools tucked tightly under the counter so she can't get on top of them. Oh, and there's even more. Yesterday, Jordyn again didn't want to go down for a nap, so I again let her cry for a little bit, but after it going on for a few minutes, I decided to go check on her, and am so glad I did. My little monkey was stuck on the top rail of her crib. She again had tried to climb out and had all but succeeded. So, we now have transitioned the crib to a toddler bed, which still isn't working very well because she wont stay in, but at least she can't hurt herself falling out (though we have since had to move the rocking chair and her hope chest from her room because she fell off the hope chest this afternoon.) Oh, and if anyone has helpful hints for keeping a little one in a toddler bed, I could really use them at this point!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness...a mischievous little monkey!! Shelby is into climbing too, but thankfully hasn't been as brave as Jordyn. Shelby has been sleeping in a "big girl" bed since she was about 10 months old because she refused to have anything to do with her crib. I guess she never had a problem with it because she knew it was that or the crib.

    ReplyDelete