For the past few days, Jordyn has been having problems going to sleep. She'd be fine during scriptures and prayers, but when it came time for us to say good night and leave the room, tears would well up in her large puppy dog eyes, and her lower lip would start to quiver, and then she'd let it all loose and SCREAM!! For the first few nights, we thought she was just teething so we gave her some Tylenol and put Orajel on her gums, but then, when we really started to notice that she was fine during the day, and that it was just bed time that she was having issues. Last night, after going through the same ordeal, we decided to look up separation anxiety to see what the symptoms were and how to help combat those symptoms. From what Erik read, it sounded like Jordyn might be going through a phase of anxiety, and the research suggested that you always say good bye to your child, and give them a few extra minutes of love if they need it. So we decided it wouldn't hurt to try this out. So, once again, we put Jordyn to bed, we both laid in her room by her until she calmed down, and then I told her to give Daddy a kiss good night, which she did, and then she told him bye-bye. He left, and I stayed with her for a few more minutes. I talked to her, told her that her babies were there (all 4 of them), and that I could hear her over the monitor if she needed me. I told her that she would be okay, and that I needed to go to bed with Daddy. Again, she got that fearful look in her eyes, so I gave her lots more hugs and kisses. I asked her to lay down, and she did, then asked her to give Mommy a kiss good night, again she complied, then I kissed her forehead and told her to have a good night, she proceeded to tell me bye-bye, which I took as my clue to leave, and for the most part we had a good night (she did wake up about 3:00 this morning, and we had to go through the whole ritual again). We followed the same procedure for her naps today, and all went fairly smoothly, so I think we might have a solution. I don't mind getting up with her if I know the problem and know how to help her out. Erik and I were just getting so frustrated because we didn't know what to do, but we could tell that something was wrong. I hope that this phase passes quickly, but if not, I don't mind giving my little girl a few more hugs and kisses every night.
11.19.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





oh sad, but glad shes getting better at it!
ReplyDelete